Jewish Comics logo illustrated by Michael Netzer, copyright 2009

Jewish Comics Search Engine

Goodreads bookshelf montage

Google Search Window

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Graphic Details exhibition launch in Toronto - tomorrow night

The Summer 2010 issue of Lilith contained a short item about the travelling exhibition Graphic Details on page 47. Specific people mentioned in the item were Michael Kaminer, Sarah Lightman, Diane Noomin, Aline Kominsky-Crumb and Trina Robbins. The item included reproductions of art by Bernice Eisenstein and Vanessa Davis.

The item incorrectly stated that the exhibition would be moving to Toronto in March. In fact, the Koffler Center's opening night event will be held tomorrow (Feb. 17th) at the Gladstone Hotel.

The exhibition has been getting additional publicity via the Sisterhood blog at the Jewish Daily Forward and the Jewish Women's Archive blog. The 2 blogs are cross-posting interviews with those involved with the show.

Interview with Miss Lasko-Gross
http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/135430/
http://jwablog.jwa.org/graphic-details-interview-miss-lasko-gross

Q: How does your Jewish identity influence your work?
L-G: I don't know that it does, but in the auto-bio game having a genetic predisposition to being a neurotic mess doesn't hurt.

Interview with Sarah Lightman
http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/135123/
http://jwablog.jwa.org/graphic-details-interview-sarah-lightman

Q: How does your Jewish identity influence your work?

SL: I am finding my relationship to being Jewish is constantly evolving as I get older. I found at some points the texts and writings were most important, and now I am finding greatest joy from finding communities of Jewish artists who make similar art to me. I have felt for a number for years that my contribution to Jewish life and history will be a cultural one. For example, when I curated shows for The Ben Uri Gallery, London Jewish Museum of Art, I was committed to creating opportunities for contemporary artists. One pleasing result was giving Jewish artists an opportunity to display work that expressed their identity and their lives, and ensuring a supportive audience for this work. I felt most excited by the creative ways the artists engaged with Judaism and their Jewish experience.

Interview with Michael Kaminer
http://blogs.forward.com/sisterhood-blog/134917/

What interested you about the trend of Jewish women doing autobiographical comics you observed at the 2008 Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art Expo in New York?

The story kind of told itself. I was on the lookout for women artists because that’s a large part of what I collect. Their voices always seem sharper, the powers of observation more refined, and the humor riotous. I probably had my Jewish filter up because I was a contributing editor to a magazine called Jewish Living at the time. And the autobiographical element just emerged as a common thread among the artists I encountered. When Jewish Living tanked, I took the story to the Forward, and the piece — which ran in December 2008 — became “Graphic Details,” the show.

Interview with Trina Robbins
http://jwablog.jwa.org/graphic-details-interview-with-trina-robbins

Q: How does your Jewish identity influence your work?

TR: Sorry, not much. I've done a few stories that I consider Jewish-identified, like the story of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire, which my father had told to me growing up, or my adaptation of Hirsch Glick's Die Parteznaer Lied, which I did with Sharon Rudahl, but mostly what influences my work is that I'm a woman.

No comments: